|Opening||Introduction of the participant||What is your name, age and how long have you been suffering from GWs?|
|Introductory question||Participant's reaction to the GWs diagnosis||1. How did you react when you heard that you had GWs?|
|Transitional question||Perception of illness||
2. What are your views on this disease (in comparison to other STDs, for instance)?|
Cues: Cause, consequences, treatment options, time to cure and knowledge about HPV
3. Does the fact that it is caused by HPV influence your views on the disease?
|Key questions||Effects of GWs on QoL||
4. How has your life been affected by having GWs?|
a. Physical effects
b. The course of treatment
Cues: Pain, embarrassment, worries about treatment effectiveness, duration and, knowledge, doctor-patient communication, practical aspects
c. Effects on work and studies
Cues: Concerns about stigma, ability to work/study, sick leave, contagion, social avoidance
d. Social relations
Cues: Concerns about stigma, contagion, avoidance, social isolation
e. We initially wanted to base this study on a group interview, but the MSM we talked to were very reluctant to participate in this and would only participate in an individual interview. Could you explain why this might be?
f. Love life
Cues: Worries about present or future partners, infidelity, contagion, conflicts about infidelity or disrupted sex life, fear of rejection and disapproval
g. Sex life
Cues: Desire/lust, initiative, pleasure, spontaneity, avoidance, low self esteem, negative body perception, fear of rejection, lack of sexual ability
h. Psychological effects
Cues: Guilt, shame, anger, worries about the future, depression, fear, negative self perception, identity, insecurity, disease phobia
5. Has your quality of life changed since you were first diagnosed with GWs, and if yes, how?
6. Do you feel you have sufficient knowledge about GWs?|
7. Is there anything you think we ought to have discussed but did not?